This past Saturday and Sunday, we installed a fifty foot flagstone path which extends from our front door to the street. We dug out and leveled the path mostly by hand, only using the rototiller for hard, rocky areas. Once the dirt was removed and relocated to random parts of the yard, we ordered gravel, tamped it into place and placed our flagstone.
Our gravel order awaits!
After we placed our gravel, we laid out our flagstone and began to arrange the stones. It was similar to a very heavy and frustrating game of Tetris!
We selected a native basalt to use in the path as we felt it would blend in most convincingly with the area and would help 'age' the garden a bit.
Once the foundation for the path was laid and covered in with gravel, we then proceeded to dig 18 inches into our front yard to create steps. This endeavor required an additional 600 pounds of rock.
After a hard rain, we pulled out tubs containing our dirt reserves and begun to fill over the gravel. We left a generous amount of space between each stone because we wanted to plant Irish Moss throughout with the hopes it will creep and weave, looking very charming and sweet. I hope to replicate the look of some of the churchyards I visited in Scotland and Ireland which had very ancient, worn stones in their garden pathways.
I also added new soil to the front herb beds and placed some stones recovered from all of these projects around the garden beds to form a nice, visible border.
Here is a nice shot of how the path looks from the street. We received many compliments from friends and neighbours throughout the process, which was just the reassurance we needed!
Lastly, here is a nice view of the front beds with newly embedded flagstone and four extra pots! We are growing an heirloom garlic in these pots in addition to more pansies!